Daisy Baker's is located in a four-story 1892 brownstone. The Young Women's Association, predecessor to today's YWCA, commissioned the building. It provided safe quarters for young women who came to Troy for employment in this prosperous 19th century industrial city. Troy was the 4th wealthiest city in the United States at that time. Pre-eminent architect Marcus Cummings designed the building. He came to Troy in 1862 to help rebuild after a fire destroyed much of Troy's business district. The room that is now Daisy Baker's is a replica of his original music room on the Emma Willard campus.
The Christian Science Church purchased the building in 1920. They used what is now our dining room and bar as a chapel. They stayed here for 50 years and then sold the building to esteemed attorney Harry O. Lee. This space was first used as a restaurant and bar in the 1970s. The proprietors wanted to name it "Mary Baker Eddy's," after the founder of the Christian Science Church. Mr. Lee didn't want to offend church members, however, and wouldn't allow it. The name evolved into "Daisy Baker's." Daisy Baker's was immensely popular, almost legendary in Troy. It was a favorite haunt of politicians, lawyers, judges and business people. The revelry came to an end in the mid-1980s when Daisy Baker's original owners closed the doors. Then the room sat unused, except when it was occasionally rented out for private parties.
Jim Scully bought the building from Harry Lee in 2000 and revived Daisy's in December of that year, taking care not to alter the room's original details. As William M. Dowd wrote in the January 14, 2001 edition of the Albany Times Union, "Those who remember the old Daisy Baker's, or Daisy's as it also once was called, will be thrilled that little has been done to muck with the ambiance of the large room. Some subtle lighting touches enhance it, but essentially it's a polished version of the original."